30.11.10

Day 23


Since last Thursday was a crazy day and this weekend was spent away, I cooked a proper thanksgiving meal for my flat family today. Again, I know this is American....BUT I cooked the whole meal with things bought at a British supermarket. Honestly, I didn't think it would be so difficult. Originally, I took it as a fun challenge, but as I was scanning the aisles of the store searching for an hour, I was filled with a sense of wavering commitment. Although quite the undertaking, I managed to pull through with a little creative zest. 


Let it be known that I've never actually made the whole feast on my own before....even in the US. That being said, I missed out on the whole 'turkey must thaw for days' part and ended up roasting a chicken instead....tastes that same, right? I found some 'dried onions' in a box and used them as a substitute for the trusty 'French Fried Onions.' The fresh cranberries I bought to make a homemade sauce had "Grown in the United States" on the packaging (I thought..'Hey, me too!'). There were about 5 total bags of marshmallows on the shelf....with only one brand to choose from (What? Are Americans the only ones who insist on putting sugar on everything?!). For dessert, I wasn't going to settle for anything less than a pumpkin pie....but I was stopped in my tracks when the bakery had no idea what I was going on about. There was so much confusion....how do you describe pumpkin pie? Canned pumpkin was out of the question too. Next best option? Apple Pie. 


All in all, I'm impressed with myself and the flat loved the meal. Lucky for me, I also have leftovers. Thanksgiving sandwich for lunch tomorrow? I think yes!

2 comments:

  1. I've had both squash and sweet potato pies, and they taste pretty much the same as pumpkin. Help for next time you're in Europe for Thanksgiving? hahaha

    ReplyDelete